I LOVE chocolate chip cookies! It’s my favorite cookie, for sure. :0)
Over the years, I’ve made batches upon batches of this beloved cookie using a recipe my mom gave me. But recently, I discovered that foods with gluten don’t settle all that well with me. And so I’ve steered clear of many baked goods, including chocolate chip cookies.
That is, until I made up a batch of Gluten-Free Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies about a month ago.
As I tossed ingredients into a mixing bowl, I wasn’t sure my gluten-free experiment would work. I’ve definitely had my fair share of failures when attempting to create a new recipe.
But for this recipe, I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
The dark chocolate and coconut create a delightful flavor. (Did I mention that coconut is my favorite food?:0) And although this cookie’s texture is different from those made with wheat flours, the almond and coconut flours worked beautifully with the other ingredients. You’ll also notice that this recipe is not nearly as sweet as traditional recipes. But rest assured, this doesn’t compromise the flavor.
I hope you enjoy these gluten-free cookies as much as my family and I did.
Gluten-Free Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP coconut milk
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½cups almond meal/flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
(1) Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
(2) Using an electric mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Beat over low speed until well mixed.
(3) In a medium bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients, and over low speed, mix until well blended.
(4) Mix in shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
(5) Shape heaping tablespoons of dough into balls. Flatten each with the back of a large spoon to about ½” thick.
(6) Bake for about 25 minutes or until edges slightly brown. Cool on rack.
Makes about 15 cookies.