Today’s recipe ~ Mediterranean Wraps ~ is one that my hubby and I first tried shortly after our wedding almost 16 years ago, and it’s been a favorite since then.
Now my hubby tends to be a meat and potatoes sort of guy. So for him to love a vegetarian recipe like this–-well, it has to be amazingly delicious. Piled inside this wrap, you’ll find a blend of long-grain rice with fresh basil, roasted vegetables tossed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, crumbled feta cheese, and fresh tomato salsa with hints of lime, cilantro, and garlic. Oh, this recipe is a keeper for sure!
Recipe from Cooking Light with modifications
- 1 ½ cups hot cooked jasmine or long-grain rice
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
~Fresh Tomato Salsa Ingredients~
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 TBSP diced red onion
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
~Vegetable Medley Ingredients~
- 1 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas (~or you could use 4 of the 10-inch wrap tortillas~)
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
Make It Gluten-Free: Skip the flour tortilla and either make it a bowl or use a large lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.
1. Preheat boiler.
2. Prepare rice according to box/bag instructions. Add basil to rice and set aside.
4. Arrange bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, and ½ cup red onion in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil for 12 minutes or until vegetables are browned. Spoon into large bowl. Drizzle vinegar and oil over roasted vegetables; toss to coat.
5. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon ¼ cup of rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each with about ½ cup roasted vegetables, 2 TBSP tomato mixture, and 2 TBSP cheese. Makes 6 servings.