Most mornings, my family eats eggs for breakfast. But every so often, we long for something different. Muffins are always a welcome change to our breakfast menu.
This last summer I tried a new gluten-free, paleo-friendly muffin recipe—Blueberry Lemon Muffins. I started with a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin recipe I found in Make it Paleo by Bill Staley & Haley Mason, and changed some ingredients and modified directions. These moist and flavorful muffins were a hit with my family. Definitely a keeper! :0)
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ cup palm shortening, melted
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place muffin papers into muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, add the eggs and lightly beat them with a whisk. Add palm shortening, maple syrup, and lemon juice and zest to the eggs and mix together.
3. In a small bowl, sift coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. Combine dry ingredients to large bowl with wet ingredients. Mix together until dry ingredients are incorporated into wet ingredients.
4. Gently fold blueberries into muffin batter.
5. Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full with batter. Bake for 35 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.